Subject: bug#8862: compilation-window-height no good anymore

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:09:50 -0400

>> Yes, being less eager to delete windows is good.  But why signal an
>> error rather than just make the window as big as possible without
>> deleting surrounding windows?
> I can do that for `enlarge-window' (and do a corresponding thing for
> `shrink-window').

AFAIK, `enlarge-window' did not signal an error when the size was too
large, so I think it's best to keep being silent, for backward
compatibility's sake.

> I can do that for the lower level function
> `resize-window' (aka `window-resize') as well but wouldn't we rather

Signalling an error is a good thing, wo while we shouldn't do it for
enlarge-window for compatibility reasons, we should do it for the
new functions like window-resize.

> I meant the functionality of `adjust-window-trailing-edge'.
> Before that change mouse dragging an edge could delete windows and
> after that change not.

Such changes to interactive behavior are much less problematic than
changes in non-interactive functions, since the first might at worst
surprise or disappoint the user, while the second can
break functionality.

        Stefan