Subject: Re: bug#8862: compilation-window-height no good anymore

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:09:27 +0200

> Yes, being less eager to delete windows is good.  But why signal an
 > error rather than just make the window as big as possible without
 > deleting surrounding windows?

I can do that for `enlarge-window' (and do a corresponding thing for
`shrink-window').  I can do that for the lower level function
`resize-window' (aka `window-resize') as well but wouldn't we rather
like to catch a failure here?  Also what about an attempt to enlarge or
shrink the root window of a frame?  Should we avoid signalling an error
here too?

 >> When a similar change was applied to `adjust-window-trailing-edge' for
 >> Emacs 22 hardly anyone complained.
 >
 > Not sure what you're referring to: adjust-window-trailing-edge was a new
 > function in Emacs-22.

I meant the functionality of `adjust-window-trailing-edge'.  Before that
change mouse dragging an edge could delete windows and after that change
not.

martin