Subject: bug#8861: 24.0.50; Isearch: Repeating the last search

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:41:38 +0200

Hi Juri,

> It would be annoying when searching for e.g. "caterpillar"
> will stop at "cat" and highlight it.

Well, IMO, it would be TRT.  Once you see that result, if you consider
it useless, just dismiss it with C-g.

Also, think of a situation like having "caterpillars" in the top of
the search ring and then doing C-s C-s in a buffer which doesn't have
it, but has "caterpillar" (singular).  In that case, I would like
Isearch to move the point forward to the next occurrence of the second
one.  Yes, it isn't a full match, but is a _useful_one_ for me.

> However, your idea is not completely useless.  Currently isearch mode
> is interactively incremental but you propose to extend it it into
> non-interactively incremental (i.e. incremental even when the search
> string is not composed interactively).  Maybe a new option/mode
> could do that but I think it should not be enabled by default.

It would be useful, IMO.  Thanks.

PS: Currently, my knowledge of Emacs Lips is too basic to been able to
contribute anything useful.  Maybe in the future.  I have the
intention of keep learning... :)

-- 
Dani Moncayo