Subject: bug#8857: closed (Re: bug#8857: display-buffer attempt to pop-up frame in batch mode causes "Unknown terminal type" error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:50:03 +0000

Your bug report

#8857: display-buffer attempt to pop-up frame in batch mode causes "Unknown terminal type" error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8857: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8857
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8857: display-buffer attempt to pop-up frame in batch mode causes "Unknown terminal type" error
From: David Engster <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:49:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

martin rudalics writes:
>> However, this
>> effectively means that there really is no default value for
>> pop-up-frames,
>
> ... well it's 'unset ...

Yes. But I think you understand my problem: 'unset doesn't say whether
you should pop up a new frame by default or not. It's pretty much what
Drew says in #8865, and I tend to agree with him on this issue. I think
this special handling of 'unset is cumbersome, and it should simply be a
boolean variable with a default of nil or t.

Anyway, I don't want to bother you with two threads on the same issue,
and the original problem has been solved, so I'm closing this bug and
will maybe follow-up on #8865, but I think pretty much everything has
been said regarding this issue.

-David

Subject: display-buffer attempt to pop-up frame in batch mode causes "Unknown terminal type" error
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:21:30 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs

With the current trunk:

./src/emacs -Q -batch README INSTALL Makefile
Loading vc-bzr...
Unknown terminal type

(exits with status /= 0)

OK, this is not a very sensible example, but it illustrates the point.
It's caused by display-buffer trying to pop-up a frame in batch-mode and
is very recent.

Emacs 23 does not have this problem by default, but the following shows
the same issue:

emacs-23.3 -Q -batch --eval '(setq pop-up-frames t)' README INSTALL Makefile