Subject: RE: bug#8856: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:14:17 -0700

> I tested it with my full setup (oneonone.el etc., not just the 
> pared-down file I sent you).
> I still see the problem reported for this bug: focus of 
> *Completions* is not being redirected to the minibuffer 
> frame.  I get the same read-only error.
> But now I see that problem only when the *Completions* frame 
> is created, not when the frame is already displayed.  That's 
> the _opposite_ behavior from before...
> Also, now I do not get the appearance that I defined for the 
> *Completions* frame.  The frame background color is that of a 
> normal frame etc.  This is true in the latest build, whether 
> I load your new window.el or not.

I also tested using throw-one.el (but with the file loaded at the end being your
latest window.el, not the one from 6/19).  With that test:

1. *Completions* is shown with the proper frame background.
2. But it does not seem to be dedicated, in this sense:

If you do `M-x f TAB o TAB' everything seems fine, but if you then hit `rwa TAB'
(matching all commands that start with `forward-'), buffer *Completions* gets
replaced by buffer *scratch* in its frame.  Hitting TAB again puts *Completions*
back there, but *scratch* should never appear in that dedicated frame/window.
You can see the same thing (*scratch* replacing *Completions*) if you just type
something that has no match: `M-x f TAB qqqqqqqqq'.

However, (window-dedicated-p (get-buffer-window "*Completions*" 0)) returns t,
so officially it is dedicated.  The window, at least.  Maybe the window itself
is being replaced in that frame by another window?  No idea.

3. I do not see the read-only-error problem I reported earlier today from using
my full setup, so this pared-down test is no longer sufficient to get that.  I
also do not see that error if I use the original recipe, with just hexrgb.el and
oneonone.el.  So I'll have to start again from my full setup and pare down to
something smaller.  I cannot do that right away, however.

Thx, HTH.