Subject: bug#8856: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:13:24 -0700

> I know what the bug is now.
> Attached find the latest window.el.

I tried it, using a new build from Sean (from 6/20).  I tested it with my full
setup (oneonone.el etc., not just the pared-down file I sent you).

I still see the problem reported for this bug: focus of *Completions* is not
being redirected to the minibuffer frame.  I get the same read-only error.

But now I see that problem only when the *Completions* frame is created, not
when the frame is already displayed.  That's the _opposite_ behavior from
before: Previously, if the frame was already displayed then I got the error, but
not when it was first displayed (created).

Also, now I do not get the appearance that I defined for the *Completions*
frame.  The frame background color is that of a normal frame etc.  This is true
in the latest build, whether I load your new window.el or not.

However, buffer *Help* is correctly displayed according to its special-display
function, `1on1-display-*Help*-frame' - it has the proper background color etc.

Also, when I byte-compiled the file (to test that as you requested):

1. The *Compile-Log* buffer was not displayed.  That's probably because it had
only this in it (so probably this is not a problem):
Compiling file .../window-2011-06-21a-MARTIN.el at Tue Jun 21 11:38:26 2011

2. When I click mouse-2 on buffer *Compile-Log* in the buffer list, or I use C-x
4 b to choose it, buffer *Compile-Log* is displayed in an ordinary frame, not in
a special-display frame as it should be.  This, in spite of the fact that M-:
(string-match "[ ]?[*][^*]+[*]" "*Compile-Log*") returns 0; that string is the
only one in my `special-display-buffer-regexps'.

(What's more, my automatic frame-fitting is not invoked now, so the frame is
tiny.  I'll worry about that separately, for now.)

Other buffers that should have special-display frames (e.g. whose names match
`special-display-buffer-regexps') are correctly shown in the default
special-display frames, however.