Subject: bug#8856: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:26:21 +0200

> The recipe, one more time:
 >
 > runemacs.exe -Q --debug-init -l "hexrgb.el" -l "oneonone.el" -f "1on1-emacs"
 >
 > Download the two files mentioned from here:
 > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?action=index;match=%5C.(el%7Ctar)(%5C.gz)%
 > 3F%24

I'm not going to do that.  If you can provide me a self-contained test
that doesn't require to download any files I shall follow your advices.

But I have done the check below.

When I add the name of a buffer *text* to `special-display-buffer-names'
I have three choices - a plain string, an alist of parameter value
pairs, or a function with arguments.  These give the three cases below
when evaluating (display-buffer (get-buffer-create "*text*")):

(1) special-display-buffer-names --> ("*text*")

     calls `special-display-popup-frame' with the argument

     nil

(2) special-display-buffer-names --> (("*text*" (x . 3) (y . 4)))

     calls `special-display-popup-frame' with the argument

     ((x . 3) (y . 4))

(3) special-display-buffer-names -->  (("*text*" ignore (3 4)))

     calls `special-display-popup-frame' with the argument

     (ignore (3 4))

All three cases give the same results here for `display-buffer' before
and after my changes.  If you see the same values, the handling of
special buffers is not affected by the changes.  If you see a different
behavior, please tell me what you see.

martin