Subject: RE: bug#8851: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:51:18 -0700

> From: martin rudalics (private mail)
> I've checked in a fix that should address this issue.  I 
> attached a copy of the latest window.el.  Please report on the
> list whether it works.

Thanks for working on this.  But I'm sorry to say that no, it not only does not
help, it makes things worse.

Now, when I hit `C-x C-b' I get `*Buffer List*' in the same (regular) frame - it
just replaces the current buffer in its window. 

What should happen is that `*Buffer List*' gets popped up in its own,
special-display frame (separate frame, different frame properties from regular
frames).

Here is a recipe (you just need to download the same 2 files as for the recipe
for bug #8856).  In fact, my reply to you with the debugger info, in this #8851
thread, involves this same startup recipe.

Let me repeat the startup recipe, which holds for both of these bugs (different
symptoms), #8851 and #8856:

runemacs.exe -Q --debug-init -l "hexrgb.el" -l "oneonone.el" -f "1on1-emacs"
 
Download the two files mentioned from here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?action=index;match=%5C.(el%7Ctar)(%5C.gz)%
3F%24

For the rest of the bug #8851 recipe, see the initial bug report.

----

Wrt bug #8856 also, the same symptoms reported initially are still there (frame
selection/focus problem).

Plus, now the special-display frame that I define for `*Completions*' is not
even used.  Instead, buffer/window `*Completions*' is shown in a regular frame.

Please try the recipe for #8856, starting with the same Emacs startup recipe
shown above, and I think you will see the same things I see.  IOW, you should be
able to reproduce both problems from runemacs -Q.

Here again is that recipe (after startup as shown above):

> M-x f TAB ; to display *Completions* frame.
> C-]       ; to return to top level.
>  
> M-x f TAB o
> 
> Or just hit TAB twice in a row: M-x f TAB TAB.
> 
> IOW, try to type more input in minibuffer.  This raises the error
> "Buffer is read-only #<buffer *Completions*>"

----

If you cannot reproduce these two problems then maybe there is an
MS-Windows-specific issue somewhere.  But I'm guessing that you will be able to
reproduce them from the runemacs -Q startup shown here.  Let me know if
something is not clear.