Subject: bug#8853: closed (Re: bug#8853: 24.0.50; regression: doc string of `special-display-popup-frame')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8853: 24.0.50; regression: doc string of `special-display-popup-frame'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8853: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8853
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8853: 24.0.50; regression: doc string of `special-display-popup-frame'
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:16:00 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> > > Indeed.  Could someone please restore the old doc-string in Emacs 23?
> > 
> > Fixed.
> 
> No, I do not see this fixed in the latest Windows build of Emacs 24:

As indicated, it was fixed in the emacs-23 branch. This and other
changes will be merged to trunk in due course. Please be less eager to
reopen bugs.

Subject: 24.0.50; regression: doc string of `special-display-popup-frame'
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:11:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This regression was introduced in release 23.1.  Prior to that release,
the doc string said, correctly,
"If ARGS is a list whose car is a symbol, use (car ARGS) as a function
to do the work.  Pass it BUFFER as first arg, and (cdr ARGS) as the
rest of its args."
 
Now it says, incorrectly,
"If ARGS is a list whose car is a symbol, use (car ARGS) as a
function to do the work.  Pass it BUFFER as first argument,
and (cdr ARGS) as second."
 
If ARGS is a list whose car is a symbol `f', then
`special-display-popup-frame' invokes `f', passing it as arguments,
BUFFER followed by all of the elements in (cdr ARGS).  The arity of `f'
is the length of ARGS, not just 2.  We do not pass `f' (cdr ARGS) as a
second argument.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-13 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'