Subject: bug#8851: closed (Re: bug#8851: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 03:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8851: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8851: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8851
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8851: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:04:21 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> With the second new `window.el' version that you sent today, this bug
> appears to be fixed.  (Bug #8856 is not yet fixed, however.)  Thx.

Good, thanks,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.0.50; regression: special-display-frame is no longer dedicated
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:08:05 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This regression was introduced between this build (from today,
6/13/2011) and the Windows build of LAST week, which was this:
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-06 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'
 
I don't have a recipe starting from emacs -Q.  But these are the
symptoms:
 
I have non-nil `pop-up-frames'.  I use a special-display frame for
buffers such as `*Buffer List*' and `*info*'.  
My value of `special-display-regexps' is this:
("[ ]?[*][^*]+[*]")
 
My special-display frames hav a different background color from my
regular frames.  I visit a file foo.el, then use `C-x 5 0' to remove
its frame. I hit C-x C-b and get the buffer menu in a new,
special-display frame.  I click mouse-2 on the foo.el line to
visit that file.
 
Prior to this week's build, this opens foo.el in a new frame, in a
regular frame.  With this week's build it visits foo.el in the same
frame that showed `*Buffer List*'.  IOW, `pop-up-frames' is not being
respected (in the case where there is not already a frame showing
foo.el).
 
What is happening is that `Buffer-menu-mouse-select' is incorrectly
invoking `switch-to-buffer' instead of `switch-to-buffer-other-window'.
This is happening because the window of the special-display buffer is
not dedicated, as it should be.
 
This returns nil:
(window-dedicated-p #<window 14 on *Buffer List*>)
 
Similarly, M-: (window-dedicated-p (selected-window)) in any
special-display buffer window returns nil.  It should return non-nil.
 
In my setup the windows of buffers such as `*Buffer List*' and `*info*'
should definitely be dedicated.  They are special-display buffers (and
their special-display-frame backgrounds confirm this).
 
As the manual says, and as has always been the behavior in previous
Emacs versions, "By default, special display means to give the buffer a
dedicated frame."

The frames showing special-display buffers should be dedicated frames.
Clicking mouse-2 on a buffer name in `*Buffer List*' should not visit
that buffer in the same window/frame.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-13 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'