Subject: Re: bug#8838: tty-run-terminal-initialization fails

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:16:40 -0400

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:42:59 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>
> TZ> I disagree with replacing `when' with `if' in the case of just one
> TZ> clause, which you did in several places.  Rather than simplifying the
> TZ> code, it complicates reading it IMO.  Since `when' is a macro I think
> TZ> any performance gains are minor.
>
> Glenn, can you reply to this please?  If `when' should be discouraged,
> tell me so, otherwise I'm not sure why you changed it.

Oh, sorry. Just personal preference. I don't see the point of using:

(when
  single-form)

since it expands to

(if
  (progn
    single-form))

which seems like a waste of a progn to me. (Maybe the compiler optimizes
it away though, I don't actually know.)

In this case, I think I was just put in an anti-when mood by things of
the form:

(when a
  (when b
   ...))