Subject: bug#8832: 24.0.50; Line truncation in the minibuffer

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:47:35 +0200

Hi,

0. Start Emacs (emacs -Q).
1. Set line truncation on by default (setq-default truncate-lines 1).
2. Visit a remote file, with a long path, in a host that require login
(C-x C-f /myuser@host-that-require-login:/very-long-path-to-some-remote-file-that-i-want-to-visit-right-now).
Obviously, replace "myuser" and "host-that-require-login" with
suitable values of user/host (that require login) accessible from your
PC.

After step #2, there is a problem: The minibuffer prompt (in this case
"Password for myuser@host-that-require-login:") is not visible [1].
Even typing C-a, C-b, etc don't bring the prompt back.  This is very
disconcerting.

[1] See attached screenshot "minibuffer-truncate.png", and compare it
with the case when `truncate-lines' is turned off
"minibuffer-wrap.png".

Solution that I suggest for this: Create a variable
`truncate-lines-minibuffer', similar to `truncate-lines' but to
control line truncation only in the minibuffer.  The default value
would be 0 (off), because I think that line truncation is in general
counterproductive in the minibuffer (I what to see the prompt and
whole input I'm writing).

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-07 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/build/include'

-- 
Dani Moncayo