Subject: bug#8825: closed (Re: bug#8825: 24.0.50; Problem with builtin gnutls on Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:50:04 +0000

Your bug report

#8825: 24.0.50; Problem with builtin gnutls on Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8825: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8825
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8825: 24.0.50; Problem with builtin gnutls on Windows
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
To: Sean Sieger <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:48:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>    The OP's test case now works, yes.

I'm closing this bug, BTW.

    Juanma

Subject: 24.0.50; Problem with builtin gnutls on Windows
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:48:00 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When trying to use Gnus with the (presumably) builtin gnutls
functionality on Windows
(using the binaries graciously built by Sean) I get the error:

Opening connection to imap.aim.com via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+aol due to: Symbol's function definition is void: gnutls-boot
Opening nnimap server on aol...failed: 

I have the DLL libgnutls-26.dll in my PATH as well as in `exec-path`.

I specified:

(require 'gnutls)

before starting Gnus.

Eval'ing the expression:

 (eval-expression (quote (fboundp (quote open-gnutls-stream))) nil)
t

gives `t'.

I tried the simple test specified in `gnutls.el':

(require 'gnutls)
(open-gnutls-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps")

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnutls-boot)
  gnutls-boot(#<process tls> gnutls-x509pki (:priority "NORMAL" :hostname "imap.aim.com" :loglevel 0 :trustfiles nil :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :verify-hostname-error nil :callbacks nil))
  gnutls-negotiate(:process #<process tls> :type gnutls-x509pki :hostname "imap.aim.com")
  open-gnutls-stream("tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps")
  eval((open-gnutls-stream "tls-" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps") nil)
  eval-last-sexp-1(t)
  eval-last-sexp(t)
  eval-print-last-sexp()
  call-interactively(eval-print-last-sexp nil nil)
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (void-function gnutls-boot))

I did get a `process-list':

tls		open	tls-buffer	--	     (network connection to imap.aim.com)

I also got an ESTALISHED TCP connection:

  TCP    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:4151       205.188.58.10:993      ESTABLISHED

[Aside: Hopefully, we will continue to be able to use the external gnutls-cli
if we wish when `(require 'gnutls)' is NOT specified (or a variable to
the same effect) even when Emacs 24.1 is released.  Thanks.]

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-06 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/build/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> C-x b <return> C-v C-v 
C-v ^ q C-r d a d a C-p C-p C-p SPC C-n SPC C-n C-n 
SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p SPC C-p SPC <return> Q y q y C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-SPC <escape> > C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-n C-n C-w C-v C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x b <return> 
C-x b <return> <escape> x g n u s <return> <return> 
<return> SPC SPC SPC <backspace> T C-g t SPC SPC <escape> 
x t e d SPC s SPC <return> n SPC SPC SPC <backspace> 
SPC <escape> x t e d - s p <tab> <return> C-x o <escape> 
< C-x o Q y C-s g m C-n C-n C-n C-n SPC q q y <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <escape> : l i b p n <tab> <return> <escape> 
x l i s t SPC p r o c SPC <return> <escape> x l i s 
t SPC b u f SPC <return> C-x b * g n <tab> <return> 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-x 1 <escape> 
x g n u s <return> <return> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 286k
nnimap read 288k
nnimap read 289k
nnimap read 290k
nnimap read 293k
nnimap read 294k
nnimap read 298k
Reading active file from archive+nnfolder+archive:posts via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tabulated-list gnus-html gnus-dup mule-util sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml
re-builder multi-isearch nndraft nnmh nndoc utf-7 rfc2104 nnagent nnml
nnimap utf7 nnfolder parse-time rot13 netrc network-stream gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache offlineimap
google-weather url-cache google-maps google-maps-static
google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json pcmpl-ssh executable pcomplete
jabber jabber-libnotify dbus jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii
jabber-xmessage jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison
jabber-screen jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server
jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client jabber-si-common
jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time jabber-autoaway
jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events jabber-vcard
jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp comint ring jabber-browse
jabber-search jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-muc-nick-coloring hexrgb jabber-newdisco jabber-widget
jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert
jabber-iq jabber-core jabber-console sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon
jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml xml jabber-menu
jabber-autoloads jabber-util epa-file epa derived epg epg-config sieve
sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc password-cache url-vars mailcap gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnoo nnheader gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-mode view pcase advice advice-preload pager w3m-search w3m help-fns
browse-url doc-view easymenu jka-compr dired regexp-opt image-mode
timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit w3m-wget server easy-mmode cl
edmacro kmacro paren tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)