Subject: 24.0.50; Problem with builtin gnutls on Windows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:48:00 -0400

When trying to use Gnus with the (presumably) builtin gnutls
functionality on Windows
(using the binaries graciously built by Sean) I get the error:

Opening connection to imap.aim.com via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+aol due to: Symbol's function definition is void: gnutls-boot
Opening nnimap server on aol...failed: 

I have the DLL libgnutls-26.dll in my PATH as well as in `exec-path`.

I specified:

(require 'gnutls)

before starting Gnus.

Eval'ing the expression:

 (eval-expression (quote (fboundp (quote open-gnutls-stream))) nil)
t

gives `t'.

I tried the simple test specified in `gnutls.el':

(require 'gnutls)
(open-gnutls-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps")

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnutls-boot)
  gnutls-boot(#<process tls> gnutls-x509pki (:priority "NORMAL" :hostname "imap.aim.com" :loglevel 0 :trustfiles nil :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :verify-hostname-error nil :callbacks nil))
  gnutls-negotiate(:process #<process tls> :type gnutls-x509pki :hostname "imap.aim.com")
  open-gnutls-stream("tls" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps")
  eval((open-gnutls-stream "tls-" "tls-buffer" "imap.aim.com" "imaps") nil)
  eval-last-sexp-1(t)
  eval-last-sexp(t)
  eval-print-last-sexp()
  call-interactively(eval-print-last-sexp nil nil)
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (void-function gnutls-boot))

I did get a `process-list':

tls		open	tls-buffer	--	     (network connection to imap.aim.com)

I also got an ESTALISHED TCP connection:

  TCP    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:4151       205.188.58.10:993      ESTABLISHED

[Aside: Hopefully, we will continue to be able to use the external gnutls-cli
if we wish when `(require 'gnutls)' is NOT specified (or a variable to
the same effect) even when Emacs 24.1 is released.  Thanks.]

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-06-06 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/build/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> C-x b <return> C-v C-v 
C-v ^ q C-r d a d a C-p C-p C-p SPC C-n SPC C-n C-n 
SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p SPC C-p SPC <return> Q y q y C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-SPC <escape> > C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-n C-n C-w C-v C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x b <return> 
C-x b <return> <escape> x g n u s <return> <return> 
<return> SPC SPC SPC <backspace> T C-g t SPC SPC <escape> 
x t e d SPC s SPC <return> n SPC SPC SPC <backspace> 
SPC <escape> x t e d - s p <tab> <return> C-x o <escape> 
< C-x o Q y C-s g m C-n C-n C-n C-n SPC q q y <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <escape> : l i b p n <tab> <return> <escape> 
x l i s t SPC p r o c SPC <return> <escape> x l i s 
t SPC b u f SPC <return> C-x b * g n <tab> <return> 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-x 1 <escape> 
x g n u s <return> <return> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
nnimap read 286k
nnimap read 288k
nnimap read 289k
nnimap read 290k
nnimap read 293k
nnimap read 294k
nnimap read 298k
Reading active file from archive+nnfolder+archive:posts via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tabulated-list gnus-html gnus-dup mule-util sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml
re-builder multi-isearch nndraft nnmh nndoc utf-7 rfc2104 nnagent nnml
nnimap utf7 nnfolder parse-time rot13 netrc network-stream gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache offlineimap
google-weather url-cache google-maps google-maps-static
google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json pcmpl-ssh executable pcomplete
jabber jabber-libnotify dbus jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii
jabber-xmessage jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison
jabber-screen jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server
jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client jabber-si-common
jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time jabber-autoaway
jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events jabber-vcard
jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp comint ring jabber-browse
jabber-search jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-muc-nick-coloring hexrgb jabber-newdisco jabber-widget
jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert
jabber-iq jabber-core jabber-console sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon
jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml xml jabber-menu
jabber-autoloads jabber-util epa-file epa derived epg epg-config sieve
sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp assoc password-cache url-vars mailcap gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnoo nnheader gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-mode view pcase advice advice-preload pager w3m-search w3m help-fns
browse-url doc-view easymenu jka-compr dired regexp-opt image-mode
timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util wid-edit w3m-wget server easy-mmode cl
edmacro kmacro paren tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)