Subject: bug#8823: closed (Re: bug#8823: Can coreutils stat dismounted filesystem?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8823: Can coreutils stat dismounted filesystem?

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8823: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8823
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8823: Can coreutils stat dismounted filesystem?
From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
To: v99 glu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:26:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

v99 glu wrote:
> I write to this email address according the link:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#How-do-I-add-a-question-to-the-FAQ_003f.

Thanks for telling us where you spotted the bug-coreutils@ reference
That is no longer the correct address, and I've just fixed that page
and added some clarification.  FAQ-related discussion is better
directed to the [email-masked] list.

Your message to the bug- list has automatically opened a bug "ticket"
http://debbugs.gnu.org/8823
which means someone has to manually close it.
(I'm doing that via this message with the Cc to 8823-done@...)

> I need filesystem details (size, type, freespace, etc). The most
> appropriate utility for this purpose is coreutils 'stat' (as I could
> find).
> In my case, filesystem to be probed can be both mounted and dismounted.
> In case of mounted filesystem I have no questions.
> In case of dismounted filesystem I cannot get her details, because I
> cannot specify any file in it.
>
> So, this is a question: Can coreutils 'stat' utility display details
> of dismounted filesystem? Or may be another coreutils utility can?

If a file system is not mounted, then no coreutils program can do what
you want.  However, if you really need to inspect a file system without
mounting it, consider libguestfs (http://libguestfs.org/).

Subject: Can coreutils stat dismounted filesystem?
From: v99 glu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:13:06 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi
In fact, It is not a bug.
I write to this email address according the link:
http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#How-do-I-add-a-question-to-the-FAQ_003f.

I need filesystem details (size, type, freespace, etc). The most
appropriate utility for this purpose is coreutils 'stat' (as I could
find).
In my case, filesystem to be probed can be both mounted and dismounted.
In case of mounted filesystem I have no questions.
In case of dismounted filesystem I cannot get her details, because I
cannot specify any file in it.

So, this is a question: Can coreutils 'stat' utility display details
of dismounted filesystem? Or may be another coreutils utility can?

Thanks,
v99glu.