Subject: 23.3; compiling emacs 23.3 with xft support

From: Jamie Macbeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 20:07:05 -0700 (PDT)

This is a bug in compilation.

After ./configure with xft libs, src/Makefile has this line in it:

XFT_LIBS=-lXrender -L/usr/lib/1 -linux-gnu -lXft

this causes the build to fail at link time when linking with Xft.  I believe
that XFT_LIBS is being set correctly by a line in the configure script.

XFT_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs "xft >= 0.13.0"|sed -e 's,///*,/,g'`

But maybe somewhere in the toolchain this is getting mangled before it
makes it's way into src/Makefile?  Maybe some command in the chain is
searching and replacing anything with -l in it?

I seemed to have fixed it in my sources by replacing
"-L/usr/lib/1 -linux-gnu" with "-L/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu"

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2011-06-05 on dv7
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
configured using `configure  '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x M-x M-x r e p o <tab> r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
call-interactively: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util
netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode easymenu view
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process font-render-setting x multi-tty emacs)