Subject: bug#8791: closed (Re: bug#8791: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 06:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8791: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8791: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8791
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8791: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X
From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
To: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:12:32 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]> writes:

> ...So I assume from your reply that, first of all, gpg does not have
> anything similar to shh-add which is a program the user runs in
> order to talk to the ssh agent.

Ah, sorry, I misinterpreted your question - yes, there is:
gpg-preset-passphrase which is normally installed in /usr/libexec.
I'm not quite sure this is what you want as I seldom use that utility,
but anyway closing this bug for now.

> Anyway: thanks for EasyPG!

Welcome.

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno

Subject: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X
From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:03:47 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am running emacs remotely as a child of gpg-agent, but with X
forwarding disabled. If I am trying to visit a gpg-encrypted file, 
I simply get the error message

  File exists, but cannot be read

and I get an empty buffer.

I expect that this is related to the fact that EasyPG does not run
pinentry (or: does not run pinentry properly) if X forwarding is
disabled. If I do enable X forwarding and I try to open a
gpg-encrypted file, a pinentry window pops up, asking me for the
passphrase. Then I can visit gpg-encrypted files as expected.

I would expect that with X forwarding disabled, emacs will ask for the
passphrase in the minibuffer. (I believe I got this behavior when I had
no pinentry program installed.)

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2011-06-02 on lukas

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.ISO-8859-15
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t