Subject: bug#8791: 23.3; EasyPG: pinentry in remote emacs session without X

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:24:28 -0500

On Mon Jun 6 2011 Daiki Ueno wrote:
> > I do not know much about the internals of gpg. I was wondering: for
> > gpg, is there anything similar to the ssh-add command, which could
> > serve as a fallback?
> 
> I suspect that gpg command installed on your remote system is GPG2,
> which is tightly coupled with gpg-agent (and thus pinentry) for secret
> key operations by its design.

...So I assume from your reply that, first of all, gpg does not have
anything similar to shh-add which is a program the user runs in
order to talk to the ssh agent. But gpg is doing it the other way
round: it's always the gpg agent which runs pinentry to ask the user
for a password.

I do not quite understand what motivated the authors of gpg and ssh
to use these different strategies. Oh well...

Anyway: thanks for EasyPG!

Roland