Subject: bug#8789: 23.3; debug backtrace buffer changes window on step-through

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:01:51 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> > And, in the case of `file-remote-p', it wouldn't even be enough to
> > duplicate just this function.  We would have to duplicate any 
> > function that could be called by `file-remote-p' as well.
>
> No, sorry, I don't see that.  The problem is only calls to
> file-remote-p', not
> also calls to `find-file-name-handler' (which is called by
> file-remote-p') or
> calls to `if' or `funcall' (also called by `file-remote-p').  
>
> AFAICT, it does not matter that `mode-line-file-remote-p' would call
> `find-file-name-handler' or `if' or `funcall'.  `M-x debug-on-entry
> file-remote-p', or adding `debug' to your (non mode-line) code that
> calls `file-remote-p', would not cause the debugger to open when
> `mode-line-file-remote-p' is called or when any of the functions it
> calls is called.

But what if you want to M-x debug-on-entry find-file-name-handler or any
other function called by `file-remote-p' (or your mode-line version)?

Going to bed now - good night.