Subject: bug#8789: 23.3; debug backtrace buffer changes window on step-through

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:48:40 -0700

> It's trivial to get the change from say
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2012-09/msg00266.html
> and apply it.  You don't have to rebuild Emacs for this 
> change, just recompile debug.el.

OK, I did that.  I patched a copy of debug.el (MARTIN-debug.el) and loaded it.
That changed nothing.  I byte-compiled it and loaded that (MARTIN-debug.elc).
That changed nothing.

Everything I have described today still behaved the same, unfortunately.

>  > Sometimes I can grab the border of the *Backtrace* frame, 
>  > as usual, and resize it (even though it goes back to the
>  > default size when I hit `d', as described earlier).
> 
> This should have changed now.

No, it did not appear to have changed - see above.

OK, so I quit that Emacs session and started a new one.  Loaded the patched
debug code first (MARTIN-debug.el).  Now I no longer see the bizarre debugger
effects I described today.  Perhaps something was weird about that session;
dunno.

And I can now resize and reposition the *Backtrace* frame as I could in the
past.  So it seems that this bug is fixed.  Thank you.

However, some things still seem weird.  Dunno whether they happen because I
loaded the MARTIN-debug.elc file (patched debug.el) after the original debug.elc
had already been loaded.  Sometimes during stepping it does blow away my frame
and re-create the frame at the original position and with the original size.
Not sure whether everything is fixed, but feel free to close the bug if you are
done fixing.  I can always reopen the bug if I find something else.