Subject: 23.3; Unsafe directory at startup.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 11:49:14 -0400

From: [email-masked] (Gérald Jean)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.3; Unsafe directory at startup.
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Hello,

I just installed emacs-23.3.1 on a 64-bit Windows server where I have
temporary admin rights.

I did copy my .emacs file from a 32-bit Windows workstation to the
startup directory.

At startup I get the following error.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `c:/Program
Files/Emacs/.emacs':

error: The directory `~/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

this directory is created by Emacs itself, why is it "unsafe"?

Thanks,

Gérald Jean

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: FRC
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x + C-x o C-x b <return> <help-echo> C-x o C-x k
<return> M-x R e p <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
r e p o r t SPC e m a SPC b SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Loading c:/Program Files/Emacs/myemacs (compiled; note, source file is
newer)...
error: (error The directory `~/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe)
Preparing diary...done
Preparing diary...done
Loading c:/Program Files/Emacs/.abbrev_defs...done
Loading c:/Program Files/Emacs/mymacros.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Program Files/Emacs/myemacs (compiled; note, source file is
newer)...done
Wrote c:/Windows/system32/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 5 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/tibetan hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/tibetan
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/thai hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/thai
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/slovak hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/slovak
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/lao hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/lao
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/japanese hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/japanese
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/indian hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/indian
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/hebrew hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/hebrew
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/greek hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/greek
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/georgian hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/georgian
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/ethiopic hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/ethiopic
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/czech hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/czech
c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/lisp/language/cyrillic hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-23.3/leim/quail/cyrillic

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug dired desktop saveplace uniquify
advice help-fns advice-preload iswitchb time mule-util cal-move appt
view cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs regexp-opt cal-menu
easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs avoid show-whitespace paren mic-paren
strip-whitespace server tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Actuariat et Solutions d'assurances,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: [email-masked]

"We believe in God, others must bring Data."

W. Edwards Deming