Subject: bug#8786: 24.0.50; infinite loop in try_scrolling

From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 22:24:29 +0300

Hi Eli,

>>>>> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 10:47:57 -0400, Eli Zaretskii ("EZ") wrote:

  >> Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:35:13 +0300
  >> From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <[email-masked]>
  >> 
  >> 
  >> Sometimes, when I'm running erc, it seems to hit an infinite loop in the
  >> function try_scrolling. I have no exact steps to reproduce, but at least it
  >> seems to happen when invoking 'anything' (C-x b in my case).
  >> 
  >> Below, the backtrace I get with gdb when I attach it to the process:

  EZ> Thanks.  Could you please use the procedure described in etc/DEBUG
  EZ> beginning with "If Emacs is in an infinite loop, try to determine
  EZ> where the loop starts and ends", and report here where it loops?

Yes, as soon as I hit the problem again, I will attempt to do so.
  
  EZ> Also, please invoke GDB from the src/ directory in the Emacs source
  EZ> tree, so that it picks up the .gdbinit file that defines various
  EZ> useful commands.  E.g., the backtrace shows the Lisp backtrace as
  EZ> well.

  >> when print 'it', I get:

  EZ> Please use the "pit" command to display the contents of `it' in a
  EZ> human-readable form.  (That command is defined bu src/.gdbinit.)

Ok, I will try that.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

-- 
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:[email-masked]           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C