Subject: bug#8772: [PATCH] rcirc: support TLS/SSL and arbitrary connection method

From: Marco Pessotto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 16:21:51 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm writing you to submit a patch for rcirc.el to give it support for
>> SSL connections.
>
> Thank you.  But I'm afraid you're just a few weeks late:
>
>    revno: 104199
>    committer: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
>    branch nick: trunk
>    timestamp: Wed 2011-05-11 23:25:58 -0300

Yeah, I noticed, as you've probably seen:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-05/msg01016.html

There was obviously a communication problem. 

I talked on the irc channel #rcirc about a SSL patch 2 months ago, but
apparently without waking a real interest from the maintainers.
The irc channel was obviously the wrong place to talk about this.

Also, I assumed that the place where the development was happening was
the rcy's git(hub) repo, but, again, I was wrong.

So what else can I say? Sorry for the noise. I patched rcirc because
I prefer to run a stable emacs, I like rcirc and I need the SSL
connection *now*.

Julien Danjou <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 31 2011, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> The last 2 chunks of the patch are meant to strip the IRC colors.
>>> Not really part of the "connection" patch, but IMHO useful.
>>
>> Could you describe a bit more what this is about (I'm not a regular IRC
>> user)?  I can't remember seeing those C-c escape sequences, when do they
>> appear, what are they expected to do?  Should we really strip them, or
>> would it be even better to turn them into faces?
>
> C-c are escape code for colors. I think they came with mIRC first, but
> well, I don't know for sure.
>
> See: http://www.mirc.com/colors.html
>
> I don't think they should be stripped, but they should be rendered using
> faces as you suggest. And this probably be configurable with a
> defcustom.

I prefer to have the colors stripped out, because [IMHO] they are just
lame.

  "rcirc is a next generation IRC client. It blends seamlessly with the
  rest of emacs, it’s tight, fast, and doesn’t light up like a christmas
  tree." -- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/rcirc

I believe the colors are part of the christmas tree ;-)

Best wishes

-- 
Marco