Subject: bug#8772: [PATCH] rcirc: support TLS/SSL and arbitrary connection method

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:57:33 -0300

> I talked on the irc channel #rcirc about a SSL patch 2 months ago, but
> apparently without waking a real interest from the maintainers.
> The irc channel was obviously the wrong place to talk about this.

Not being a regular user of IRC, I'm basically never on #rcirc.

> Also, I assumed that the place where the development was happening was
> the rcy's git(hub) repo, but, again, I was wrong.

I didn't know Ryan kept a separate repository for it.  That could be
a problem if the two aren't kept in sync.  Of course, the other problem
is that I haven't heard from Ryan in a long while.

> So what else can I say? Sorry for the noise.

There's nothing to be sorry about.

> I prefer to have the colors stripped out, because [IMHO] they are just
> lame.

>   "rcirc is a next generation IRC client. It blends seamlessly with the
>   rest of emacs, it’s tight, fast, and doesn’t light up like a christmas
>   tree." -- http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/rcirc

> I believe the colors are part of the christmas tree ;-)

I can relate to that.  Could you send a new patch relative to Emacs
trunk's version of rcirc.el?

Thanks for your contribution, in any case,

        Stefan