Subject: bug#8771: vc-dwim problem parsing ChangeLog entries (was: Emacs bug#8771)

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:50:12 -0700

On 05/31/11 06:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> And rather than
>    
>    * composite.c (get_composition_id, gstring_lookup_cache):
>    (composition_gstring_put_cache): Foobar.
> 
> we usually write:
>    
>    * composite.c (get_composition_id, gstring_lookup_cache)
>    (composition_gstring_put_cache): Foobar.

OK, I'll adjust that ChangeLog entry by hand.  I had appended
the extra colon to the first line because otherwise vc-dwim doesn't
parse the ChangeLog properly.

This appears to be a bug in vc-dwim so I'll send this email
to [email-masked] (the original thread is at
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8771#8>).  For example,
with vc-dwim 1.5 and the following ChangeLog:

2011-05-31  Paul Eggert  <[email-masked]>

        Remove arbitrary limit of 2**31 entries in hash tables.  (Bug#8771)
	* composite.c (get_composition_id, gstring_lookup_cache)
        (composition_gstring_put_cache):
        * composite.h (struct composition.hash_index):
        Use 'EMACS_UINT' and 'EMACS_INT'
        for hashes and hash indexes, instead of 'unsigned' and 'int'.

vc-dwim generates the following diagnostic:

vc-dwim:ChangeLog: line of unexpected form:
* composite.c (get_composition_id, gstring_lookup_cache) at /home/eggert/opt/Linux-x86_64/merged/bin/vc-dwim line 991.

This diagnostic means vc-dwim isn't understanding the newish ChangeLog
format in the GNU coding standards
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Style-of-Change-Logs.html>.
Also, that "line 991" is confusing, since it's not the line number in
the ChangeLog file.