Subject: cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el:184:1:Error: Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 12:10:39 -0700

> it would be worthwhile to
> try and figure out what is different between your case and the
> bootstrap case.

I ran into this problem recently on Emacs master (commit 
133026c362eb27191d992fbf35727550804bfc96 dated today). I had recently 
done a 'git pull' into a working directory that hadn't been updated for 
some time. When I did the usual './autogen.sh; ./configure; make' I got 
the same diagnostic for c-by.el.

The problem persisted after I removed all *.elc files and then did a 
'make -j5' on a 4-core machine. The problem then went away when I did a 
plain 'make'.

One hypothesis is that c-by.el depends on some other .el file being 
compiled into *.elc form (rather than being present in only source 
form), and that using 'make -j5' causes 'make' on my platform to 
(unluckily) arrange for c-by.el to be compiled before the other *.elc 
file (whatever it is) is available.

c-by.el starts this way:

(require 'semantic/lex)
(eval-when-compile (require 'semantic/bovine))

so perhaps we should arrange for all the .elc files needed by 
semantic/lex and/or semantic/bovine to be present, before compiling c-by.el.