Subject: Re: ^M in the info files

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:23:28 +0100

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 16:13, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I cannot reproduce this (tried with compressing info/emacs*).  Please
> send a complete self-contained recipe.

Sorry, apparently it depends on something in my .emacs. It's still a
bug, though.

Try with

  cd info
  gzip efaq
  emacs -Q -eval "(progn (set-language-environment \"UTF-8\") (info
\"(efaq)Top\"))"

> Does "spurious" mean that every line has a ^M, like you saw before the
> fix, or just some lines?

Every line, just like before the fix.

> Also, does the above reference to http://www.gzip.org means that files
> compressed by other versions of gzip do work as intended?

Means that using the gzip from www.gzip.org it fails, and using the
one from MSYS I get the error I reported. I don't have other versions
of gzip.

For additional fun,

  cd info
  gzip emacs
  emacs -Q -eval "(info \"(emacs)Top\")"
   =>
  gzip: illegal option -- Q
  usage: gzip [-acdfhlLnNrtvV19] [-S suffix] [file ...

(this with the standard www.gzip.org version).

    Juanma