Subject: Re: bug#8754: submission of vimvars

From: James Youngman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:27:52 +0100

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 09:25, Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> wrote:
> P.S.: There was also this package with a similar goal last time I
> looked:
>
>  http://bitbucket.org/danderson/evimodeline
>
> Do you know about that one?

I didn't.   But looking at it, I see it's simpler than vimvars
(meaning, it's much easier to see it's doing the right kind of thing
and generally it's probably easier to maintain) but there are some
respects in which it interacts less nicely with both Emacs and VI than
vimvars:

 - vimvars knows not to apply the vi mode line when a file has Emacs
local variables too (though the user can change this)
 - vimvars checks for a vi modeline at both the bottom and the top of a file
 - vimvars will not regex search through an arbitrarily long file
 - vimvars also supports the vi modeline items makeprg, ignorecase, wrap
 - vimvars supports the "no" prefixes for each relevant option (for
turning things off)
 - vimvars has some support for M-x custom
 - vimvars has slightly closer emulation of vi-related editors'
behaviour with "ex: set" (specifically, it's ignored at BOL).

Slightly less relevant:
 - vimvars has a regression test (not included in the initial
submission because it would need to be modified to fit in with Emacs'
tests and it was only worth doing that if the original submission was
accepted).
 - vimvars has (a small amount of) Texinfo documentation

James.
-- 
Google Ireland Ltd., Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland
Registered in Dublin, Ireland.  Registration Number: 368047
http://tinyurl.com/345mmx