Subject: Re: bug#8750: 24.0.50; Crash in daemon mode when display goes away

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 13:35:36 -0400

Nix wrote:

> I suspend my desktop box every night, to save power. My Emacs runs on a
> remote system in --daemon mode, and is never shut down. $DISPLAY on that
> system points directly to the desktop box: this is sometimes suspended,
> so the TCP/IP connection cannot be assumed to stay up. (Nonetheless, if
> it goes away, if it is re-established, the X session will be exactly as
> it was.)
>
> When this happens, Emacs's X error handler kicks in and kills it:

Sounds like this etc/PROBLEMS entry:

** When Emacs is compiled with Gtk+, closing a display kills Emacs.

> (If this is impossible, can anyone suggest a way to keep Emacs running
> while the X server is down? I've tried xpra, but its keyboard handling
> is too broken :( )

You can try using a Lucid toolkit build.

> In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.8)
>  of 2011-05-26 on spindle