Subject: Re: bug#8744: Also use detect-coding-string?

From: Marco Pessotto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:42:39 +0200

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2011-05-30 02:49 +0800, Marco Pessotto wrote:
>> Couldn't this patch be modified as:
> [snipped 23 lines]
>
> I just read
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat#Character_encoding, so
> this seems to be a good change.
>
> Stefan, what do you think?
>
> Should I make the change so that if rcirc-decode-coding-system is a
> coding-system, it is used, otherwise detect the coding-system?
>

The rcirc-decode-coding-system is by default set to 'utf-8, which is
(obviously a valid coding system), so the test, if i understand
correctly, would always be true.

My idea is that the client should try to detect automatically the
encoding used for each message received, using as first choices the
encodings set by the user. That's what all the major IRC clients do (like
irssi and weechat). 

Cheers

-- 
Marco