Subject: 24.0.50; smtpmail-send-it encodes encoded message header

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 18:31:17 +0900

Handa-san,

The rfc2047.el encoder encodes things that look like encoded words
by default.  This prevents encoded words, that a user purposely
puts in a message subject or other, from being broken by a decoder.
Please try this:

(progn
  (pop-to-buffer "*testing*")
  (erase-buffer)
  (insert "Subject: 日本語\n")
  (sit-for 1)
  (mail-encode-header (point-min) (point-max))
  (sit-for 1)
  (mail-encode-header (point-min) (point-max)))

By your recent change in smtpmail.el, this is just what happens
when sending a mail using Gnus now.  Could you revert it?  Or
please let-bind `rfc2047-encode-encoded-words' to nil when running
`mail-encode-header'.

Regards,