Subject: 23.2; Flymake should go to error column

From: dino chiesa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 06:04:57 -0700

flymake should extract and use the error column when possible.
 
The error messages for many compilers and lint-type programs give both line
and column numbers. When I call flymake-goto-next-error, it would be
nice to move to the column of the error, in addition to the line, when
that information is available in the error message. 
 
This requires changes to multiple defuns, including 
 
 - flymake-add-err-info 
   must store column number if the regex provides it
 
 - flymake-get-next-err-line-no 
   should return a row/col cons cell, rather than a line number
 
 - and so on. 

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t
Major mode: Help
Minor modes in effect:
  yas/minor-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  view-mode: t
Recent input:

Load-path shadows:
/users/dino/elisp/linum hides c:/emacs/lisp/linum
/users/dino/elisp/css-mode hides c:/emacs/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
Features:
(browse-url mailalias mailclient sendmail gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 pgg pgg-parse pgg-def epg-config mm-view smime dig gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems shadow sort mail-extr message
ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils
emacsbug help-mode view js find-func dired-aux
flymake-for-jslint-for-wsh flymake-cursor flymake autopair espresso
bytecomp byte-compile ido json thingatpt etags imenu newcomment cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds multi-isearch grep compile comint ring
time-stamp sgml-mode autorevert server cperl-mode paren mic-paren
hideshow easymenu cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired
regexp-opt defaultcontent yasnippet-bundle dropdown-list yasnippet
easy-mmode cl cl-19 tfs skeleton httpget hl-line advice help-fns
advice-preload auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)