Subject: bug#8705: 23.3; Emacs occasionally crashes (segfault) just after starting it

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:13:17 +0200

Any news?

This problem also occurs with GNU Emacs 24.1.1.

Core was generated by `emacs 55_lshift_type.expect'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x00007fc23c70c757 in kill () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:82
82      ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007fc23c70c757 in kill () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:82
#1  0x0000000000500c9c in fatal_error_signal (sig=<optimized out>)
    at emacs.c:366
#2  fatal_error_signal (sig=<optimized out>) at emacs.c:336
#3  <signal handler called>
#4  *__GI_getenv (name=0x7fc23f04ccca "KB_CHARSET") at getenv.c:84
#5  0x00007fc23efc27ed in _XkbGetCharset ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
#6  0x00007fc23efc0eed in XkbTranslateKeySym ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
#7  0x00007fc23efc114a in XLookupString ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
#8  0x00007fc23ef9a81f in _XimLocalFilter ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
#9  0x00000000004c8de1 in x_filter_event (event=0x7fffba71b390, 
    dpyinfo=0xdc1000) at xterm.c:5793
#10 event_handler_gdk (gxev=0x7fffba71b390, ev=<optimized out>, 
    data=<optimized out>) at xterm.c:5823
#11 0x00007fc24218d3ca in gdk_event_apply_filters (filters=<optimized out>, 
    event=<optimized out>, xevent=<optimized out>)
    at /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkevents-x11.c:356
#12 gdk_event_translate (display=0xd93020, event=0x1c8c1d0, 
    xevent=0x7fffba71b390, return_exposes=0)
    at /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkevents-x11.c:927
#13 0x00007fc24218f136 in _gdk_events_queue (display=0xd93020)
    at /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkevents-x11.c:2310
#14 0x00007fc24218f1be in gdk_event_dispatch (source=<optimized out>, 
    source@entry=0xe35dc0, callback=<optimized out>, user_data=<optimized out>)
    at /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gdk/x11/gdkevents-x11.c:2371
#15 0x00007fc240651205 in g_main_dispatch (context=0xe35e70)
    at /tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gmain.c:2539
#16 g_main_context_dispatch (context=context@entry=0xe35e70)
    at /tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gmain.c:3075
#17 0x00007fc240651538 in g_main_context_iterate (
    context=context@entry=0xe35e70, block=block@entry=1, 
    dispatch=dispatch@entry=1, 
    self=<error reading variable: Unhandled dwarf expression opcode 0xfa>)
    at /tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gmain.c:3146
#18 0x00007fc2406515f4 in g_main_context_iteration (context=0xe35e70, 
    may_block=1) at /tmp/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gmain.c:3207
#19 0x00007fc242522c81 in IA__gtk_main_iteration ()
    at /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.10/gtk/gtkmain.c:1344
#20 0x00000000004bf72b in XTread_socket (terminal=<optimized out>, 
    expected=<optimized out>, hold_quit=0x7fffba71b6c0) at xterm.c:7187
#21 0x0000000000508d18 in read_avail_input (expected=expected@entry=1)
    at keyboard.c:6859
#22 0x0000000000508e2a in handle_async_input () at keyboard.c:7187
#23 0x000000000050a465 in reinvoke_input_signal () at keyboard.c:7243
#24 0x00000000005bfac5 in Fcall_process (nargs=10, args=0x7fffba72c3e8)
    at callproc.c:652
#25 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=11, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72c3e0) at eval.c:2984
#26 0x0000000000579207 in Fapply (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffba72c548)
    at eval.c:2507
#27 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72c540) at eval.c:2984
#28 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#29 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=9571133, nargs=nargs@entry=10, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72c738) at eval.c:3233
#30 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=11, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72c730) at eval.c:3063
#31 0x0000000000579207 in Fapply (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffba72c898)
    at eval.c:2507
#32 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72c890) at eval.c:2984
#33 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#34 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=31679093, nargs=nargs@entry=7, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72ca78) at eval.c:3233
#35 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=8, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72ca70) at eval.c:3063
#36 0x0000000000579207 in Fapply (nargs=<optimized out>, args=0x7fffba72cbc0)
    at eval.c:2507
#37 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72cbb8) at eval.c:2984
#38 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#39 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=31007125, nargs=nargs@entry=6, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72cd88) at eval.c:3233
#40 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=7, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72cd80)
    at eval.c:3063
#41 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=<optimized out>, args=<optimized out>)
    at bytecode.c:785
#42 0x00000000005777d4 in eval_sub (form=form@entry=31437750) at eval.c:2356
#43 0x000000000057a9d1 in internal_lisp_condition_case (var=12010018, 
    bodyform=31437750, handlers=31437574) at eval.c:1469
#44 0x00000000005b09b6 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:981
#45 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=31719157, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72d380) at eval.c:3233
#46 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=2, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72d378) at eval.c:3063
#47 0x00000000005793aa in Fapply (nargs=2, args=0x7fffba72d378) at eval.c:2454
#48 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72d370) at eval.c:2984
#49 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#50 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=10325781, nargs=nargs@entry=3, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72d558) at eval.c:3233
#51 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=4, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72d550)
    at eval.c:3063
#52 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#53 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=10327125, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72d718) at eval.c:3233
#54 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=nargs@entry=2, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72d710) at eval.c:3063
#55 0x00000000005785ea in call1 (fn=fn@entry=10327125, arg1=<optimized out>)
    at eval.c:2771
#56 0x000000000057eefd in mapcar1 (leni=9, vals=vals@entry=0x0, 
    fn=fn@entry=10327125, seq=seq@entry=14761750) at fns.c:2346
#57 0x00000000005829d7 in Fmapc (function=10327125, sequence=14761750)
    at fns.c:2434
#58 0x0000000000578363 in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72d830) at eval.c:3005
#59 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=<optimized out>, args=<optimized out>)
    at bytecode.c:785
#60 0x00000000005777d4 in eval_sub (form=form@entry=10327494) at eval.c:2356
#61 0x000000000057647b in internal_catch (tag=-2433983737013667, 
    func=0x5772e0 <eval_sub>, arg=10327494) at eval.c:1272
#62 0x00000000005b09f5 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:966
#63 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=10327293, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72dcd8) at eval.c:3233
#64 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72dcd0)
    at eval.c:3063
#65 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#66 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=10327701, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72de98) at eval.c:3233
#67 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72de90)
    at eval.c:3063
#68 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#69 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=10336621, nargs=nargs@entry=0, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72e0c8) at eval.c:3233
#70 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x7fffba72e0c0)
    at eval.c:3063
#71 0x0000000000578689 in funcall_nil (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=<optimized out>) at eval.c:2519
#72 0x0000000000576bcd in run_hook_with_args (nargs=1, args=0x7fffba72e0c0, 
    funcall=0x578680 <funcall_nil>) at eval.c:2708
#73 0x0000000000576da6 in Frun_hooks (nargs=1, args=0x7fffba72e188)
    at eval.c:2546
#74 0x00000000005783da in Ffuncall (nargs=<optimized out>, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fffba72e180) at eval.c:2984
#75 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#76 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=9054909, nargs=nargs@entry=2, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72e358) at eval.c:3233
#77 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=3, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72e350)
    at eval.c:3063
#78 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#79 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=9051629, nargs=nargs@entry=6, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72e518) at eval.c:3233
#80 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=7, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72e510)
    at eval.c:3063
#81 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#82 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=9049989, nargs=nargs@entry=4, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72e6f8) at eval.c:3233
#83 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=5, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72e6f0)
    at eval.c:3063
#84 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:785
#85 0x0000000000577e81 in funcall_lambda (fun=9042469, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72e950) at eval.c:3233
#86 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72e948)
    at eval.c:3063
#87 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=1, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0xaabd54) at bytecode.c:785
#88 0x0000000000577d79 in funcall_lambda (fun=9236685, nargs=nargs@entry=1, 
    arg_vector=0xaabd54, arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72eaa8) at eval.c:3167
#89 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72eaa0)
    at eval.c:3063
#90 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0xaae1a0) at bytecode.c:785
#91 0x0000000000577d79 in funcall_lambda (fun=9212341, nargs=nargs@entry=0, 
    arg_vector=0xaae1a0, arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72ec70) at eval.c:3167
#92 0x00000000005781cb in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=args@entry=0x7fffba72ec68)
    at eval.c:3063
#93 0x00000000005b007b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=<optimized out>, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=<optimized out>, nargs=nargs@entry=0, args=<optimized out>, 
    args@entry=0xaaf0e6) at bytecode.c:785
#94 0x0000000000577d79 in funcall_lambda (fun=9206885, fun@entry=9206797, 
    nargs=nargs@entry=0, arg_vector=0xaaf0e6, arg_vector@entry=0x7fffba72ed40)
    at eval.c:3167
#95 0x0000000000577214 in apply_lambda (fun=9206797, args=<optimized out>)
    at eval.c:3110
#96 0x00000000005775db in eval_sub (form=form@entry=12419398) at eval.c:2414
#97 0x000000000057a2d8 in Feval (form=12419398, lexical=<optimized out>)
    at eval.c:2204
#98 0x0000000000576581 in internal_condition_case (
    bfun=bfun@entry=0x5040e0 <top_level_2>, handlers=12062306, 
    hfun=hfun@entry=0x505920 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1515
#99 0x0000000000504616 in top_level_1 (ignore=ignore@entry=12010018)
    at keyboard.c:1177
#100 0x000000000057647b in internal_catch (tag=-2433983737013667, 
    func=func@entry=0x5045b0 <top_level_1>, arg=12010018) at eval.c:1272
#101 0x00000000005053d7 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1132
#102 recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:759
#103 0x000000000050571d in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:823
#104 0x0000000000416e6d in main (argc=2, argv=<optimized out>) at emacs.c:1715

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)