Subject: bug#870 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#870: Repeatable instance of bug#870)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:00:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#870: Missing ^J in ChangeLog

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
870: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=870
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#870: Repeatable instance of bug#870
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Cc: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:54:10 +0800

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> Thanks! (I've been suffering this #$@!&* for the past eight months or so.)
>   

As usual, a repeatable test case helps a lot more than a mysterious 
occurrence that a few people have seen but noone can explain.

> I've added the "(Bug#870)" ref to your ChangeLog entry.
>   

And I've added "-done" to the bug-address Cc to close the bug report 
(and removed emacs-devel to cut down on the duplicates that end up on 
the list).

>From [email-masked] Wed Sep  3 04:03:23 2008
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:03:17 +0200
From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Missing ^J in ChangeLog

Sometimes, while editing a ChangeLog file, one or several ^J disappear.

It could be related to doing other modifications to the ChangeLog
(reverting the buffer when there's outside changes while trying to
commit, for example), but so far there is no recipe to reproduce it.

The bug has been observed many times, and by at least two developers. It
seems to be confined to the Windows port.

emacs-devel discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg02050.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-07/msg00075.html