Subject: bug#870: Repeatable instance of bug#870

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:31:09 +0100

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:22, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The CRs are effectively stripped on reading, since they end up in limbo
> between being read and being added to the decoding buffer. I haven't tried
> writing the file, but I think (from memory and from the way the code looks
> to me) the problem is a missing CR, not a missing LF.

That's not what I see.

ChangeLog.870 initially contains:

0000 7ff0 20 74 69 6d 65 2d 73 74  61 6d 70 2e 65 6c 3a 0d   time-stamp.el:.
0000 8000 0a 09 2a 20 74 69 6d 65  2e 65 6c 3a 0d 0a 09 2a  ..* time.el:...*

After rereading the file, in Emacs it shows as:

	* time-stamp.el:^M	* time.el:

which I interpret as if, while reading, the ^M was read without ^L and
so taken literally, while the ^L was missing.

Then, if I write it back, the file on disk contains

0000 7ff0 20 74 69 6d 65 2d 73 74  61 6d 70 2e 65 6c 3a 0d   time-stamp.el:.
0000 8000 09 2a 20 74 69 6d 65 2e  65 6c 3a 0d 0a 09 2a 20  .* time.el:...*

so a LF has gone missing.

    Juanma