Subject: Re: bug#8686: 24.0.50; `re-search-backward' does not respect `search-invisible'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:48:05 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> My impression is that `re-search-backward' and `*-forward' do not
> respect `search-invisible'.  This makes it difficult if not impossible
> to use them in code to not find matches in hidden text.  Why would this
> variable be respected only in the Isearch Lisp code?  What am I missing?

Well, `search-invisible' is documented as only applying to interactive
searches:

----

search-invisible is a variable defined in ‘isearch.el’.
Its value is ‘open’

Documentation:
If t incremental search/query-replace can match hidden text.
A nil value means don’t match invisible text.

----

If you want code not to match invisible text, you have to make your code
check for the visibility.  Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no