Subject: 23.3; (gnus-face-from-file ...) bug in Gnus v5.13 on GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

From: [email-masked] (Benjamin L. Russell)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:22:26 +0900

For some reason, now Gnus v5.13 in GNU Emacs 23.3.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3,
refuses to invoke the (gnus-face-from-file ...) function correctly in
~/.gnus.el.

The following code in my ~/.gnus.el file apparently fails at file
conversion of a .jpg file to a face file:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
   '((".*"
      (name "Benjamin L. Russell")
      ("Face"
       (gnus-face-from-file "~/butterflyLang.jpg")
       ))))

Strangely, the following code does work at the same task:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
   '((".*"
      (name "Benjamin L. Russell")
      ("Face"
       (gnus-face-from-file "~/butterflyLang.jpg")
       "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADAAAAAwBAMAAAClLOS0AAAAHlBMVEUYFxcCBg6kpaUmNIEp
  icj////9/f0lZnglKUb//v47VH4JAAACZ0lEQVQ4jXWTwW6jMBCG7URqODKs1HJMsm3S3tJ1
  JXJurXKvBCtuibU44dYUBDnCskp8rgRS33bHEJJ0tfXBtubz/GPPeIj3xSBfg1qM5ceZJZDj
  cajBCog9ObOLjUl3GoyIUsaRBPWmVMSqECwB7LkVduC2XwBY2mNtlrkNk6oFghb2vLjUHu9A
  VAFW6CMKgyG655BqDx+MHAAmPqpFkqJwDjcNyBWbmbSHwI/WQG02L5rrBiND5ZQZEQK5YcRQ
  yo6alw9LxhS7TyPPF3icMTaoGrC0S8XYvCcruejjGVVYB8CaYUgPlRy97bVJXAJqOfFsEok+
  e0JfarVgXepTPL6QqzKJ9f6yBT/Nkjk8cXty+OBmGWPFRQteBknGEpfPp7eIs4xv0xb4QPoJ
  5+6r2me4zAx6dwCvTsw451sywDl2sjxsQSAy46EBe5zdfD+uDjUPBDHJPpspI9kSStoKaOAP
  wSSZq4GbU7BOoAATtbZqoJUA7jrwDvBNq2+nOL8C7A4gwKr/QdPjdIXzE9UVb8EIHLTw5+kv
  vcS0A95SC3E+GQu9JPdngCUaCKkBm1lVJ2WX2hIK/1pLFVfRAWzAiTF2KH0MEsdgH1MCDLWe
  q9pbXbsxK9IuRo0ldB5TL/DEdczmpwe+ALq83egjPGZUf7cTcDItXKPHWUr8EZIfzX//jg7N
  pdq0LwBUrwELA3sgOPbgCj/1ZZPstd555x5Xu7Y9NtDmsAW308JqhL16af5+O4GJL6xDqy3S
  aH0M7qde3XWnCL337rrB6sY7H/WxgqPPwO91YBh+AsG2y678B8jjA/83vgR/AXSoVPVrTcNy
  AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC"
       ))))

The following procedure reproduces this bug:

1. Invoke Emacs in Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, by
double-clicking on C:\emacs\emacs-23.3\bin\runemacs.exe.

2. Within Emacs, type the following command:

> M-x gnus RET

3. Within Gnus, subscribe (if not already subscribed) to the news.test
newsgroup.

4. Within Gnus, type the following command to post a new message:

> a

5. Compose a test message, with subject, say, "test," and subject body,
say "test."

6. Send the message with the following command:

> C-c C-c

7. After a few seconds, refresh the newsgroup with the following
command:

> / N

8. Read the test message just posted.  The message will be missing the
face header, which should be an icon placed immediately to the left of
the sender name in the "From" field of the message.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: JPN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp932
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-y <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <down> C-x u C-x u <up> <up> <up> <down> 
<left> <return> <return> C-y <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> C-c C-c <escape> < C-c 
C-c <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
C-SPC <escape> > <escape> w <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Mark set
Saved text from "       "iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADAAAAAw"
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Undo! [2 times]
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [2 times]
Saved text from "From: [email-masked] (Benjamin L"

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow help-mode view emacsbug image-mode starttls mailalias smtpmail
newcomment gnus-fun sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml multi-isearch gnus-salt gnus-topic nndoc
parse-time timezone byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile nnml nndraft nnmh
auth-source gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message ecomplete
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr eldoc
palette eyedropper derived hexrgb paren advice help-fns advice-preload
color-theme edmacro kmacro sendmail reporter browse-url hippie-exp
comint ring mouse-sel thingatpt recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu
dired regexp-opt cl cl-19 japan-util tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 90-6526-1406
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^