Subject: Re: bug#8680: releases

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:12:54 -0500

(A 2 year-old archived bug about Mac keyboards isn't the best place for
this discussion, but I'm not going to bother to move it.)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I wanted to bring this up to 2 releases per year, but noone had the
> energy to take care of the release management

That's not how I recall it. IIRC, you wanted to freeze 24.4 ~ six weeks
after 24.3 was released. This would have left very little time for
people who had been concentrating on the release to develop any new
features.

> BTW: since we're about to freeze and start a new pretest phase, we're
> looking for a volunteer to take care of rolling the pretests.

Oh, are you? I would have been happy to do it again. But I see Chong
Yidong is back (yay!), so if he wants to do it; or if someone else wants
to have a go, it's fine by me.

> Also, we'd welcome some help to update the manuals (most urgently, to
> integrate all the changes mentioned in NEWS into the manuals).

That, of course, is the hard part. Traditionally this large burden has
fallen on a tiny number of people. If suddenly lots of people are going
to start doing this, of course you can crank out more frequent releases.