Subject: bug#8674: closed (Re: bug#8674)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 16:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#8674: 23.3; Face header rendering bug in Gnus v5.13 on GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
8674: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8674
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#8674
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:56:07 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Each bug report should be focused on a specific issue that is thought to
be a bug, not a grab-bag of configuration questions. The right place to
ask your remaining question is a Gnus user list, which I see you have
done. If you don't get a satisfactory answer in a few days, and you
think there is an actual bug, then please open a new bug report that
summarizes the issue. In the meantime I am closing this report, since
the initial issue you reported is resolved.

Subject: 23.3; Face header rendering bug in Gnus v5.13 on GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3
From: [email-masked] (Benjamin L. Russell)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 06:38:24 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There is a bug in GNU Emacs 23.3.1 that prevents correct rendering of
Face headers in NNTP postings.  Specifically, the following Emacs Lisp
code in my ~/.gnus.el file for inserting a face header in a USENET
posting works on GNU Emacs 23.2.1, but not on version 23.3.1, with Gnus
v5.13:

> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>    '((".*"
>       (name "Benjamin L. Russell")
>       ("Face"
>        (gnus-face-from-file "~/butterflyLang.jpg")
>        ))))

The following procedure reproduces this bug:

1. Invoke Emacs in Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, by
double-clicking on C:\emacs\emacs-23.3\bin\runemacs.exe.

2. Within Emacs, type the following command:

> M-x gnus RET

3. Within Gnus, subscribe (if not already subscribed) to the news.test
newsgroup.

4. Within Gnus, type the following command to post a new message:

> a

5. Compose a test message, with subject, say, "test," and subject body,
say "test."

6. Send the message with the following command:

> C-c C-c

7. After a few seconds, refresh the newsgroup with the following
command:

> / N

8. Read the test message just posted.  The message will be missing the
face header, which should be an icon placed immediately to the left of
the sender name in the "From" field of the message.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.5) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: JPN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp932
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x g n u s <help-echo> <return> q y <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Reading active file from news.gmane.org via nntp...
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
Opening nntp server on news20.forteinc.com...done
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
5 new newsgroups have arrived
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) 
(No changes need to be saved)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug gnus-salt gnus-topic nndoc parse-time
timezone byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile nnml nndraft nnmh auth-source
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
qp ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr eldoc palette eyedropper derived hexrgb
paren advice help-fns advice-preload color-theme edmacro kmacro sendmail
reporter browse-url hippie-exp comint ring mouse-sel thingatpt recentf
tree-widget wid-edit easymenu dired regexp-opt cl cl-19 japan-util
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table
ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- Benjamin L. Russell
-- 
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 90-6526-1406
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^