Subject: 23.2; LaTeX mode fill-paragraph command does not work in captions

From: Worik Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 09:21:28 +1200

When editing the caption fro a float (a figure or table) using M-q to
run fill paragraph does not adjust the text.

Running 'fill-paragraph' directly does not work either

[email-masked]

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
  of 2011-04-04 on rothera, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11001000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build' 
'i686-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/leim' 
'--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 
'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> <right> <right> ) C-x C-s <down> <down> <down>
<down> <right> C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k
C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-x C-s <up> <up> <return> i n
SPC t a b l e SPC \ r e f <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <left> <left> <left> C-k C-y <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> C-y SPC a n d SPC f i g u r e SPC <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <backspace> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <left> <return> <tab> <up> <up> <tab>
M-q C-x C-s <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right>
<right> [ ] <left> 5 - - D a y SPC M o v i n g SPC
A v e r a g e SPC 0 . 0 0 1 SPC B a n d SPC $ \ p m
0 . 0 0 0 5 $ SPC N e i g h b o u r h o o d SPC A n
a l y s i s M-q <right> <return> <tab> <right> <return>
<tab> M-q C-x C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>
C-g C-g C-h m <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-h
k M-q <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex
Saving file 
/home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex...
Wrote /home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex
Mark set [2 times]
Saving file 
/home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex...
Wrote /home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex
Saving file 
/home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex...
Wrote /home/worik/Documents/Research/Masters/Thesis/Dissertation.tex
Quit [2 times]
Type C-x 4 C-o RET to restore the other window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fptex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fptex
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/ess/noweb-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/noweb-mode
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/octave3.2-emacsen/octave-mod hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/progmodes/octave-mod
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/octave3.2-emacsen/octave-inf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/progmodes/octave-inf

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils texmathp doc-view image-mode ps-mode
emacsbug newcomment ispell help-mode view dired ess-roxy hideshow imenu
diff-mode multi-isearch sort vc vc-dispatcher jka-compr ediff-merg
ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
vc-rcs preview prv-emacs byte-opt tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x noutline
outline font-latex bytecomp byte-compile latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro
tex-style tex advice help-fns advice-preload latexenc saveplace
ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a executable shell ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d
ess-sp3-d ess-r-d ess-r-args assoc ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils comint ring
ess-mode noweb-mode ess ess-custom regexp-opt easymenu ess-compat
ess-site preview-latex tex-site auto-loads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)