Subject: Re: bug#8653: 24.0.50; `M-x grep' output converts `~' to /cygdrive/c/...

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 21:05:09 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 08:33:37 -0700
> 
> Same thing exists in Emacs versions back to at least 20.7, so this is
> nothing new.
>  
> M-x grep foo ~/mydir/f*.el
> results in this kind of output in buffer *grep*:
>  
> /cygdrive/c/mydir/foobar.el:203: blah blah foo blah
>  
> Seems like Emacs & grep should be able to keep `~/' instead of printing
> `/cygdrive/c/'.  The current behavior is less readable and uses 10 more
> characters.

Emacs behaves like what you see on all systems: grep reports the
absolute file names, and Emacs does not convert them back to ~/foo.

But even if we make that change, I doubt that you will see ~/foo in
your case, because Emacs doesn't know about the /cygdrive/c/ wizardry,
unless cygwin-mount will help it.  And cygwin-mount isn't part of
Emacs, so we cannot fix it to support that.

And Grep cannot keep the ~/foo notation at all, because ~ is a shell
construct; applications and filesystems don't understand it, in
general (Emacs is an exception).