Subject: bug#8653: 24.0.50; `M-x grep' output converts `~' to /cygdrive/c/...

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:09:52 +0100

On Thu 12 May 2011, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 12:52:18 +0100
>> 
>> I use cygwin-mount and don't see this problem.
>
> Not sure what that means.  What "this problem"? what _do_ you see in
> Drew's example?

You have managed to elide all of the context here - some quoting is
useful.

As you have observed, emacs and grep are consistent. grep reports tha
absolute paths in its results, and emacs does not change that.

Drew sees results starting with '/cygdrive/c' because he has "HOME=C:\"
in Windows (which Cygwin will translate to 'HOME=/cygdrive/c' in the
Cygwin environment). The cygwin mount table is not setup in his
environment to translate '/cygdrive/c' to '/home'. Adding a mount point
would fix this.

The other point he made was about shortening the output from grep to
substitute ~ for /home/$USER. This would require additional code to
post-process the grep results in emacs.

    AndyM