Subject: RE: bug#8653: 24.0.50; `M-x grep' output converts `~' to /cygdrive/c/...

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:58:04 -0700

> I use cygwin-mount and don't see this problem.
> 
>  Make sure HOME is set in the Windows environment before 
> launching emacs (e.g. HOME=C:\home\ajm),

It is.  HOME=C:\

> that Cygwin is installed correctly at C:\cygwin,

It is.  (But is that location really required, for Cygwin itself to work?)

> and that the Cygwin mount table is correct (in my case with
> /home mounted at C:\home).

Dunno how to check that.  In bash, cd $HOME and cd ~ take me to /cygdrive/c, if
that helps.

> Cygwin will translate HOME to a
> POSIX path automatically, and grep will be happy.

FWIW, I am using an old version of Cygwin, having heard of various problems that
some Emacs users with more recent versions.

No, I don't have any details about the reported problems or which versions of
Cygwin.  Just take it as given that I'm not about to change Cygwin versions
anytime soon.  If there is no problem here with a more recent Cygwin build, then
that's good news and we can close this bug.

FWIW - My Cygwin version dates from 2006.  I don't see any README file or doc
and I cannot find how to determine the version #.  No, I didn't try googling
etc.

HTH.