Subject: Re: bug#8650: git update has been broken for a while

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:18:51 -0400

severity 8650 wishlist
tags 8650 notabug wontfix
stop

Liam Stitt wrote:

> Hi. I track the emacs sources using git, and a standard "git pull" to
> update the local copy hasn't worked since sometime last month. It just
> emits "Already up-to-date." and exits, which seems unlikely and
> suggests breakage in the bzr<->git gateway or some related system.

GNU Emacs is developed using GNU bzr. There seem to be a couple of git
mirrors maintained by individuals on a personal-effort basis. Even
though one is hosted on Savannah, it's still a read-only mirror, and not
the main repository. It may start being updating again, or it may not.
There is nothing that Emacs developers, in general, can (or should, IMO)
do about it.

I think there ought to be a note on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/
saying that the git repository is an unofficial, read-only mirror
provided as a convenience for users, and that it may be out-of-date with
respect to the real repository by an arbitrary amount at any time.
To be sure of being up-to-date, use the bzr repository.