Subject: bug#865: 23.0.60; The directory is unsafe today

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:16:05 +0800

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators Domain Users 0 03-07 11:14 server
>
> The part that where server-unsure-safe-dir barks is
>
>   (eql (nth 2 attrs) (user-uid))
>
> This check is maybe something that should be skipped on w32? As you can
> see from the dired output above it will get "Domain Users" in my case.
>   

I think it will get "Administrators" in fact, but it is still wrong. 
This is caused by a misfeature of Windows, that if the creator of a file 
is a member of the local "Administrators" group, then ownership is 
assigned to "Administrators" instead of the individual user. I think a 
similar problem will occur on FAT32 systems where ownership is assigned 
to "Everyone".

Eli, is it possible to tell the difference between an individual user 
and a group when we get the owner from the system? If so, we could check 
if the current user is a member of that group, and if so report them as 
the owner rather than the whole group, to work around ownership tests 
like this in lisp code.