Subject: Re: bug#865: 23.0.60; The directory is unsafe today

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:41:01 +0300

> From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 11:44:50 -0400
> Cc: 
> 
> Would it be acceptable for Emacs on Windows to change the ownership of
> any file it creates to be the user running Emacs, and then set the ACLs
> such that the creating user is the only user with rights to the file?

Do you really mean to do that for _any_ file created by Emacs?  That's
hardly appropriate: do we really want that no one else could access
the files we create with Emacs?  Not even the Unix version does that,
unless default-file-modes say we should.

This discussion was only about the directory used by the Emacs server,
and any files in that directory.  I don't think anyone meant we should
do this for every file Emacs creates.

If you meant to suggest a way of doing this just for that single
directory, then yes, this is what we were discussing.  If you can
propose code to do that, please do.