Subject: Re: bug#865: 23.0.60; The directory is unsafe today

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:37:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:10:32 +0200
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
>> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> On the other hand the doc string is wrong.
> 
> I agree that the doc string "needs work".  It sounds like the function
> started from something like what the doc string describes, but then
> additional functionality was added to the code, and the doc string
> never caught up.

What I was trying to say was that the doc string seems to have started
from some ideas of how to solve the race condition problem. Those ideas
just does not fit very well here.

Checking the owner for example may fit much better on a file system that
is not using ACL-lists (are they dead on *nix?).

The ideas to use may have to be different on different systems.

So I think it is better to start with the ideas again. I guess the ideas
that someone tried to expressed in the doc strings may fit *nix. It that
is the case then let the doc string say that.

For w32 other criterias should be used in my opinion.