Subject: bug#865: 23.0.60; The directory is unsafe today

From: Francis Litterio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:23:27 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Jason Rumney

>> Under Windows, where the owner can be a group, if the current user is a 
>> member of the group that owns a file, then they effectively own that 
>> file, and Emacs should report that to avoid problems with Lisp code that 
>> is trying to test ownership.
>
> How about solving this the other way around: if the current user is a
> member of the Administators group, Emacs on Windows will return that
> group's ID (544) as user-uid of such a user?

If this solution is implemented, keep in mind that there is a Group
Policy setting called "System objects: default owner for objects created
by members of Administrators group" which can be set to either
"Administrators group" or "Object creator".  If it is set to the latter
value, then newly-created files are owned by the user not the group.

And on a domain-based machine, this can be a domain policy that can't be
changed even by a member of the machine's Local Administrators group.
--
Fran