Subject: Re: bug#865: 23.0.60; The directory is unsafe today

From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:10:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:06:56 +0200
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> why not just check with file-writeable-p here?
> 
> Don't forget that on Windows, almost every file is writable.  You
> don't want everybody and their dog to be able to look at your server
> directory, do you?
> 
> IOW, this test is not about being able to write to a directory, it's
> about keeping your private data private.

Yes, you are right it was a silly suggestion.

On the other hand the doc string is wrong. Isn't it impossible to be
sure that there are no race conditions? And the list with different
things can't be fullfilled.

On w32 the location is maybe more meaningful than the owner? I would
suggest checking for that instead on w32.

BTW there is a

  (ignore-errors (delete-file server-file))

in server-start. I do not like the ignore-errors there. Check if the
file is there first and if it is delete it.