Subject: bug#8641: Emacs should support the fd.o clipboard-manager spec

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 04:00:48 +0100

Severity: wishlist

Emacs should be doing the client-side part of the spec, as per

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/clipboard-manager-spec

Should mean text placed on the x11 clipboard by emacs will remain 
available after emacs exits on x11 desktop environments following the 
server-side of the spec, clearly a good thing.

Implementation should be straightforward (modulo developer time 
constraints as usual, I for one mightn't quite get to it immediately)

There's a slight complication regarding what to do about our beloved 
daemonising and multi-display capable emacs - the appropriate time for 
an emacs holding clipboard on a display to ask the clipboard manager to 
persist will not be just before the emacs process exits totally, merely 
just before it closes on that display, obviously enough.

This arose during discussions in a recent emacs-devel thread [1], but is 
a separate concern to problem behaviour of particular clipboard managers 
discussed in that thread.

[1]
Subject: Re: Strange slowness when killing words interactively
From: Taylor Venable
Message-ID: <BANLkTi=mrq9fo8fd0m08hmQo4DC-xi=[email-masked]>
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-05/msg00009.html